Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Communication Is Key

I am Hispanic, so i speak Spanish fluently. But i also speak English to the best of my ability. I don't really remember how i was introduced to language or the way i learned Spanish (Even though i am sure it was taught to me by my parents and people around me). But i do remember growing up as a little girl, i would watch TV and sing along to songs on the radio, and learning new words that way, apart from what i learned in school. Learning English though, of course was a lot harder. But you could say it wasn't all that bad since i was young and learned it so quick. However, it was astonishing for me coming from a different country and culture to see the way that people interacted with each other and expressed themselves in a different tongue.
When i think of language i think of communication and the power behind words. Language could also be the ability that we as humans have to express our feelings, thoughts and ideas and be heard. But the meaning or definition behind the word varies depending on the person. Thinking about communication and how a person expresses him/herself takes me deeper though. I am very curious about  psychology and how our minds work, so its interesting for me how we as humans could use body language and even words to express how we feel and certain types of emotions, and still understand one another.
I believe language has different degrees and ways to be used depending on who you are communicating with and your relationship with the person. The way you talk to your parents, family and even friends, shouldn't be the same way you would approach someone who is older than you or lets say a college professor. Unless you talk proper English at all times, if there is such a thing. You should always know how to carry yourself out and the proper way of communicating with others no matter what language you speak. In other words, there is always a boundary of how comfortable you could get with the way you express yourself with certain people.
I think where i come from, my culture and what i was raised to practice really makes me who i am. Being able to speak two languages and my experiences and my journey through learning both also has part in who i have become in terms of where i stand i society. I always say i am not really good with words right than and there, or on the spot. I tend to have a hard time using words and putting them together to define what it is that i am feeling or my thoughts and views on something. But i have found that comfort in free writing and poetry. And i think poetry is the most creative way i have to show people who i am, the way i feel about certain things, and really out myself out there.

3 comments:

  1. I think its great that you can speak two languages. I always thought it was cool to have the ability to communicate with others not only using English but with other languages too. When you mentioned your parents and the people around you teaching you language i totally agree with that. Before we actually go to school and learn it is our family that we observe throughout our childhood. Your into poetry too i see lol thats cool maybe sometime i can see or hear some of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best story i read, lol funny because this the only story i read.. its real good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's obvious that you've thought a lot about language. I think when you write that you "tend to have a hard time using words and putting them together to define what it is that i am feeling or my thoughts and views on something," you are defining the struggle/quest of a poet.

    ReplyDelete